How to make an old vintage guitar look nice again - Luthering 101

Yamaha FG-150 Red Label
 Japan Vintage
After Restoration
That's what I was asking myself. While talking to several musicians and guitar-store-owners including workshops I had to realize: A lot of them don't wanna spill their secrets. Others again didn't seem to know shit about their own profession. So I decided to find out myself how to restore a guitar. Learning by doing.

I got some old guitars which I used to practise. For now I'm only into restoring the look and do some finetuning, since I'm lacking on a real workbench and tools. Unfortunatly do most luthiers don't share them! Actually no when considering the prices. :D

Anyway. Be prepared to see some "before" and "after" pictures of some guitars im restoring.



I just wanna point out, that I'm not a professional, neighter do I have any idea of woodwork or other craftmanship. So please be cool about what you see. I know some will say: "MY GOD! THAT POOR GUITAR!" ... but hey... I'm doing this for me. I'm getting a very special relation to my instruments and that's cool, since I'm not planning to sell them anyway.

My finest works for now are my Ibanez Performance PF5-MS-14-01, my Aria 9400, my Nagoya Suzuki No.6 SSS and my Yamaha FG-150 Red Label.

Performance PF5-MS-14-01 - Ibanez
After Restoration
Aria - Aria 9400 - Japan Vintage
After Restoration


Suzuki No.6 Guitar - Nagoya SSS Front Side AFTER RESTORATION
Suzuki No.6 Guitar - Nagoya Suzuki SSS 
Japan - Vintage 
After Restoration

Yamaha FG-150 Red Label - Yamaha
Japan - Vintage
After Restoration


It makes me happy to have a look at them. Even though there is much more work on any of them to do. But I'm cool with the state they are in. Most of them got lowered actions, a really warm and (especially the Suzuki No.6) unique sounds.

I'd like to encourrage everyone to keep their old guitars and spend some love on them.

Some things you might need and want to get used to:
Informations on how to use that stuff will follow on other posts.

Cheers

Comments